Reading time: 2 Minutes

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, on Monday, asked the management of the Rivers State Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Agency to leave office.

A statement by Simeon Nwakaudu, his Special Assistant on Electronic Media, said the directive was with immediate effect.

“The members of the Agency have been directed by the Rivers State Governor to hand over all documents and property of the Agency to the Director of Administration,” it said.

The statement added that the governor will meet with the Chairman and members of the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board by 3pm on Monday at the Executive Council Chamber of the Government House, Port Harcourt.

The meeting is expected to discuss the recent incident at a secondary school in the state.

A video of students in disarray as a result of a panic caused when a chemical substance was detonated Friday, in Community Secondary School, Oroworukwo, Port Harcourt trended on Social media.

Initial reports said secondary school students brought in weapons ahead of a planned cult clash between SS2 and SS3 pupils.

Rivers State Police Command, in a statement by the spokesman, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, spoke on the incident.

“On receipt of the complaints, the Police arrested 18year old Nicodemus Nkaparu and 17year of Darlington Sylvanus”, it said.

“The Principal made statement in relation to her complaints and the two suspects were equally cautioned and made statements where they admitted detonating the substance but however denied knowing the substance was a Chemical substance capable of causing panic and tension.

“In his statement, Nicodamus Nkaparu confirmed to have brought the canister from their House which is part of the belongings of his deceased brother who was also a Police Officer.

“But unknown to him, his friend, Darlington Sylvanus detonated the substance which threw the whole school into confusion as people scampared for safety while some sustained injuries.

“That at the end of the investigation, the suspects were given administrative bail and released unconditionally and asked to return on Monday, May 27th.

“That the incident in Community Secondary School, Oroworukwo was not a terrorist attack not an attempt to kidnap any student. That is was not a semblance of a cult clash.

“Investigation is still ongoing with a view to unraveling the circumstances surrounding the incident and bringing the culprits to justice,” Omoni stated